David McNally was born in London, England, when the city was recovering from the devastation of WWII. His playground was the bombed-out buildings that littered the landscape of his neighborhood. At age nine he emigrated to Australia with his parents. He grew up in Adelaide, a beautiful city on the southern coast of Australia, where he could fulfil his passion for surfing. His other passion was travel. By age 22, he had backpacked across much of Europe, Canada and the United States.
As a young adult, he was introduced to the world of motivation and human potential, which significantly influenced David’s philosophy and his life. One of the early pioneers was Earl Nightingale, known as the Dean of Motivation--creator and narrator of a best-selling audio album—Lead the Field. He whole heartedly embraced the concepts being taught: Belief in oneself, confidence and the expansion of what was possible for one’s life. This has been the foundation for his life’s work.
David believes passionately that clarity of purpose is the key to accomplishment and meaningful contribution. This is illustrated in his highly acclaimed film The Power of Purpose, about Terry Fox, a young Canadian who, at the age of eighteen, lost his right leg to cancer. Rather than give-up, Terry committed himself to a much larger purpose: to run the entire width of Canada to raise a million dollars for cancer research. Terry never made it across Canada as the cancer metastasized to his lungs, but he did complete 3,339 miles of the journey. The final tally for cancer research was twenty-four million dollars.
David is also widely recognized for his company’s work in helping organizations build strong brands. This is revealed in his bestselling book—Be Your Own Brand. Clients engage David and his team at TransForm Corporation to inspire and develop the skills for their employees to become passionate ambassadors of their brands. Business schools have included Be Your Own Brand in their curriculum, to help leaders understand the importance of developing a strong personal brand.
As a professional speaker, David has presented to distinguished organizations including: IBM, 3M, Merrill Lynch, Fidelity, Pulte Homes, Delta Air Lines, The Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, and many more of the world’s most successful companies. He is among an elite group of people elected to the Speakers Hall of Fame by the National Speakers Association (NSA). This award is presented to speakers who have consistently received the highest accolades for excellence in content and presentation skills.
One of David’s core teachings is: “No-one escapes life!” No matter how motivated an individual might be, life will present many challenges along the way. In his early career, he was enormously successful and then lost everything—materially that is. In 2003, his wife of 33 years and mother to their five children, died of ovarian cancer. In 2010, David was diagnosed with cancer and experienced the debilitating effects of radiation and chemotherapy. In a small book called: My Sacred Journey Through Cancer, David documented this experience. The lessons learned during his treatment and recovery have brought comfort and hope to many others who have embarked on a similar journey.
To understand the core of David McNally is to know the question he poses in his new book: MARK OF AN EAGLE. It is from the famous poet, Mary Oliver: “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”
This is the question with which he begins every day. It influences his morning ritual of reading and meditation, a practice that has been a part of his life for over forty years. It is during this time that he reminds himself to Show Up, Pay Attention and See What Happens. To David, this lays the foundation for a day of accomplishment, enjoyment and fun.
David’s approach to life comes from his statement: “If our lives are mundane, we have only ourselves to blame.” This influences how he sees his future and what he still wants to accomplish. He recently married for the second time and between he and his wife Cheryl, they have twelve grandchildren. They live in a suburb of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Mark Of An Eagle – Book Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-2RGbmkz4s
Topics I Will Discuss
1. Thought Leader
2. Overcoming challenges
3. How would you lead each day towards accomplishing your goals
4.Clarity of purpose is the key to accomplishment and meaningful contribution
1. Where are you from?
2. How did you happen to come to America?
3. What sparked the idea for your most recent book MARK OF AN EAGLE, How Your Life Changes the World?
4. How your life changes the world is a provocative statement. What are some of the ways in which we as humans, affect our world?
5. MARK OF AN EAGLE strikes me as a book that can inspire mature readers to review their life from the perspective of their legacy and what people will remember about them. Was this your intention when writing the book?
6. Tell me a little bit about the work you do as CEO of TransForm Corporation?
7. You are an acclaimed public speaker, what are your most popular speaking topics?
8. Who are some of your clients?
9. I am intrigued by the titles of your award-winning films: THE POWER OF PURPOSE and IF I WERE BRAVE. What are these films about?
10. What motivated you to produce them?
David McNally has inspired millions of people from the stage, on film and in his best-selling books. A member of the exclusive Speakers’ Hall of Fame, he is described by a leading speakers’ bureau as one of the world's Top 50 business speakers.
Availability For Podcast
Thought Leader | Best Selling Author
Previous Podcast &
1. Moments with Marianne - https://www.spreaker.com/user/momentswithmarianne/moments-matter-with-dave-sanderson-mark-
2. The Good Life Show -https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-good-life-show/e/50954724
3. The Business Power Hour - Deb Krier
4. The World’s Most Amazing People Radio Show – Virginia Bartol
5. Transition Radio – Paula Shaw